The Chalet Clock is the most popular and most commonly known type of cuckoo clock. Featuring the traditional Alpine house, this style of clock is easily recognizable and often features carvings representing typical life and scenes featuring various people. You can purchase this clock with either one or eight-day mechanical movements, or as a quartz movement clock which does not require winding and is powered by batteries. It contains a digital cuckoo call.
Showing all 4 results
German Smoker Drummer with high green hat – 7.75″$114.00
German Smoker Hunter on Skis with weapon and binoculars – 20″$681.00
German Smoker Natural Drummer playing on a tiny drum in light wood – 7.75″$114.00
German Smoker Natural Penguin on ski in dark wood with beige hat ready to take the slopes – 4.5″$64.00
Are German Quartz Cuckoo Clocks Different From Mechanical Ones?
Authentic Black Forest quartz cuckoo clocks are just as marvelous in design and uncompromising in craftsmanship as their mechanically operated counterparts. The exact same methods of design, carving, and quality control that have made mechanical cuckoo clocks famous around the world are applied to each and every quartz cuckoo clock that passes through the hands of skilled and dedicated Black Forest clockmakers. The quartz clock’s most distinguishing feature lies at its heart because this timekeeper is battery-powered instead of being weight-driven.
Reasons for the Popularity of German Quartz Cuckoo Clocks
- These timepieces are becoming more and more popular with buyers who want the privilege of possessing genuine Black Forest masterpieces but also place a high value on versions that require a minimal amount of maintenance.
- Conventional mechanical clocks require daily or weekly winding, which is not the case with quartz models that run as long as their batteries last, so there’s no winding ever required.
- Being battery-powered also ensures that they are more precise and reliable timekeepers than mechanical ones. A quartz cuckoo clock’s precision comes from a special synergy between the battery and a quartz crystal. The battery emits a small electric current through the tiny crystal and, together, they create the vibrations that ensure the clock’s high level of accuracy.
- Black Forest Quartz cuckoo clocks contain a “Night Silence” feature which is unique to the type. Some models use sensors that automatically silence the chime whenever the lights go off, while others can be pre-programmed to remain silent between a particular set of hours.
How does the Cuckoo work in a Quartz Clock?
- In quartz movement cuckoo clocks, the sounds and movements of the cuckoo birds are produced electronically. In addition to their usual display of announcing the hour, battery-empowered cuckoos charmingly open their beaks and flap their wings as well.
- The traditional bellows common to mechanical cuckoo clocks have been replaced by digital recordings in the quartz versions. Some of these clocks possess recordings of the cuckoo call blending in with the soothing background noises of birds and waterfalls.
- In musical quartz clocks, one of 12 scintillating German melodies is played whenever the clocks strike the hour. Many of the iconic moving hand-carved figurines in mechanical versions of the clock can also be seen on quartz models, animatedly lightening up the scenery with their movements.
Disadvantages of Black Forest Quartz Cuckoo Clocks
- Quartz cuckoo clocks do not qualify for the coveted VdS Certification because they do not meet one necessary requirement stipulated by the Black Forest Clock Association. All clocks worthy of VdS certification have to be operated by mechanical clock movement.
- Black Forest Quartz cuckoo clocks are as aesthetically delightful as mechanically driven ones but some of their parts are made of material that’s different from the mechanical versions. Since their weights and pendulums are purely ornamental, they have been made with plastic and not with iron, similar to its plastic cuckoo and clock hands.
Why Choose a German Black Forest Quartz Cuckoo Clock
Because they are designed, handcrafted, and handpainted by the very same inventors and makers of the finest German mechanical cuckoo clocks. Sculpted from seasoned timber sourced exclusively from the Black Forest, quartz cuckoo clocks carry the same uncompromising guarantee of craftsmanship and quality that accompanies every timepiece that’s created by the best cuckoo clockmakers in the world.
Looking to Buy a Cuckoo Clock?
Looking to Buy a Cuckoo Clock?
Before You Buy a Cuckoo Clock, Learn How the Handmade Timepieces Come to Life
An authentic cuckoo clock is a thing of wonder. An engineering and artistry marvel that spans generations! The family heirlooms can be expensive to buy, but the clocks still made in the Black Forest region of Germany are worth the price tag.
“Black Forest cuckoo clocks are still made in the traditional style that began hundreds of years ago.” Each piece is meticulously crafted and assembled by skilled artisans that have dedicated their lives to the clock making craft.
The first step in creating the very cuckoo clock you may be looking to buy is selecting the wood.
A skilled craftsman selects the pieces of wood to be used for a clock. These pieces of wood may have spent years curing before they can be chosen. No matter which style of cuckoo clock you are looking to buy, all will start with the selection of the wood. The woodworker then cuts the approximate length and shape that will be needed to make the cuckoo clock. Nowadays, most woodworkers use a mix of power and hand tools to get the job done. The cabinet for the clock works is the first to be created.
Next, the woodworker will begin the construction of the outer frame.
This is easily recognized as being the decorative part of the clock. Because of the high level of artistry involved, this process is usually drawn out on paper before the first cuts are made. These can come in a variety of style and colors!
“Many cuckoo clocks craftsmen work with handmade stencils and designs that have been handed down for decades and maybe even centuries.” After settling on a design on paper, the sketches are hand drawn on the wood and the shaping can begin. This process can take hours to complete, it’s typically the first portion of the cuckoo clock to be judged and noticed before people choose to buy. Many clockmakers consider the artistic look of the clock just as important as the inner workings of the piece.
Once the frame is carved, it is then stained and left to dry. Only after this process can the clock assembly truly begin.
In the older days of cuckoo clock making, entire clocks may have been assembled by one family of clock masters. Now, the inner workings of the clock are usually put together by a manufacturer, but still by hand, for a true Black Forest cuckoo clock. Woodworkers can buy the preassembled innards of the clock and simply fit them into the hand-carved case.
The part of the clock that actually makes the cuckoo call is normally attached to the top. This will include pipes and bellows for the cuckoo call and sometimes a music box.After the cuckoo itself is attached, other embellishments may be added, such as animated figures or woodland scenes. The weight and chains are then added and final the pendulum and weights take their place.
Black Forest cuckoo clocks must meet incredibly high standards before making it up on a shelf for anyone to buy. With old-world traditions still intact, cuckoo clocks made today can still become the family heirlooms of tomorrow.
Three Popular Models of Black Forest Clocks What You Need to Know Before Buying an Authentic Black Forest Clock
An authentic cuckoo clock from Germany is a treasure. They are still painstaking crafted in the same fashion as they were hundreds of years ago. Buying one of the famed Black Forest clocks means you will be able to pass down the timepiece from generation to generation. Black Forest clocks must meet the highest standards before they are ever sold. Each piece is handmade and assembled by clockmakers still practicing the age-old trade.
“For many cuckoo clock enthusiast and collectors, learning about Black Forest clocks is part of the charm of own one.” The rich history of each design adds to the thrill of welcoming a cuckoo clock into your home. In this article, we will outline the basics of three of the most popular Black Forest clocks.
Chalet Cuckoo Clock
• Popular design
• Black Forest house
• Cuckoo bird featured
Popular design Black Forest house Cuckoo bird featured
A Chalet cuckoo clock is probably the first one that springs to mind when you picture a Black Forest clock. They always feature a typical Black Forest house. The sizes of the house may differ, but the way the carver captures the charm of the Black Forest is always present.
The cuckoo cage for the bird will normally sit atop of the house, just under the roof. “The level of design and craftsmanship that goes into a Chalet cuckoo clock is jaw-dropping.” Some contain intricate details like shudders, doors, and windows. The house is usually set in some sort of woodland scene complete with creatures, plants and sometimes people.
Many Chalet clocks depict the movement of the figurines. A Black Forest clock contains all hand-carved figures that can dance, chop wood, or complete chores.Sometimes the charming clocks even contain working windmills or patron drinking a mug of beer!
• Oldest design
• May not feature a cuckoo bird
• Hand painted
Oldest design May not feature a cuckoo bird Hand painted.
Clockmakers in the Black Forest region have been designing clocks for centuries. One of the most popular designs from the area is the Shield Clock.“Not all shield clocks have a cuckoo bird, so be sure to look for one in the detail description before making your purchase.”
A shield clock can be a deceptively simple lacquered clock, with a basic square frame. The hand painted details are what really make this Black Forest clock unique! These clocks have an incredible history and for decades were the most popular clocks to be produced in the region.
Shield clocks always feature beautiful hand painted designs, a skill that takes years of artistry and technique to acquire. Most boast floral designs painted with special paint, which will help keep the color rich and vibrant for years to come.
Carved Cuckoo Clock
• Varied designs
• Hand carved linden wood
• Woodland Scenes
Varied designs Hand carved linden wood Woodland Scenes
Carved Black Forest clocks have a look like no other. They can appear similar to chalet clocks or have an intricate design like nothing you’ve ever seen! “These are the clocks that have become known the world over for beauty and craftsmanship.”
The carved cuckoo clock is usually made from linden wood which can be cured for nearly 5 years before being carved. Many contain figures and woodland designs. A few of the most popular scenes are inspired by the Black Forest itself and include leaves, foliage, animals, and people. Intricate leaves typically wrap around the entirety of the clock.
A cuckoo bird sits atop the carved clocks, but many designs also feature other Black Forest birds like owls. Another popular design features stags with brilliant antlers hand carved out of the linden wood.
Now that you are a bit more acquainted with Black Forest clocks you can buy with confidence. For a complete buys guide, check out Black Forest Clock Buying Guide from Cuckoo Forest. It contains the rich history and details of these exquisite works of art.